[Samba] Winbind failure on network loss

Lee Sanders samba-337 at ccp.com.au
Tue Jan 29 20:54:09 GMT 2002

Hello World,

I just discovered a problem with my samba/winbind setup. Everything was
working fine up until the office lost connectivity to the Internet. The LAN
was still operational but all connectivity to the Internet was down.

The problem that occurred was winbind failed to authenticate any users off
the Win2K domain until the Internet came back up. Now I could understand
this behavior if my samba server lost its connection to the password server
but it could ping the password server (DNS and IP) fine throughout the failure.

Now I have the feeling this is a simple missing configuration problem but
does anyone know what it would be ?

Thanks in Advance

Lee Sanders
Network Engineer