[Samba]RE: Syncing WINS

Robert Dege rcd at amherst.com
Tue Jan 29 12:34:04 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 13:57, Keith Warno wrote:
> |Here's the oddity that I'm running into.  As you already know, I have 2
> |segregated subnets, that I wish to merge into one, big happy Network
> |Neighborhood..... via WINS.
> |
> |I currently have 2 WINS servers running, 1 on each subnet (172.28x.x &
> |192.168.100.x)
> |
> |So I took my one machine, on subnet 172.28.x.x, and pointed it look at
> |the WINS server on located on the other subnet (192.168.100.x).
> |
> |However, when I boot Win98, I still see all the computers on the local
> |subnet, and NO Computers that are linked via the WINS server on the
> |other subnet.  Does that make sense :)?
> |

> Can you confirm for me that the win98 box is actually using the samba
> WINS server?  Go to [ Start | Run ] and execute winipcfg and take a look
> at all settings for your network adapter.

winipcfg & ipconfig /all both confirm that I am using that WINS server.
Like I said, I can't see the computers in Network Neighborhood, but if I
\\MACHINE, then it comes up.

Would it be worth it to add the 2 subnets to the interfaces option in
smb.conf?  would this do anything despite the fact taht I only have the
1 ip address for that local subnet?

--

-Rob