FW: [Samba]SAMBA

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Jan 29 10:14:20 GMT 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 12:57 PM
To: 'Smith, Donna G'; MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)
Subject: RE: [Samba]SAMBA

Hi Donna,
Yes, security=domain,workgroup=<win2k domain name>, password server=<win3k
domain controller> and encrypt passwords=yes
in your smb.conf should take care of this for you - you shouldn't need an
smbpasswd file.
The UNIX users comming in via telnet and ftp will authenticate against the
/etc/passwd database, and the NT /WIN2K clients accessing your Samba shares
will authenticate against the WIN2K PDC (ie they will use their win2k
passwords).  YOU WILL need a /etc/passwd entry that matches the username for
each NT/WIN2k user that needs to access your samba shares (or do a man on
smb.conf and look at the username map parameter, if you want to map the NT
usernames to different UNIX usernames), but this is strictly for uid/gid
ownership and access of unix files thru samba; the authentication will be
done against the Win2k domain controller.

Hope this helps,
Don