[Samba]LDAP-Howto/smbpasswd errors

Philip Burrow phil.burrow at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 08:22:10 GMT 2002

I'm following the Samba-LDAP HOWTO at idealx.org through and I have come up
to a problem. I added their default LDIF and ran smbpasswd -w <password> to
set up the LDAP password. I attempted to add my administrator account, using

smbldap-useradd.pl -a -m -g 200 administrator

which worked, and I then tried to give it a password, using

smbldap-passwd.pl administrator

Once I had entered the password twice it said:

Failed to find entry for user root.
Failed to modify password entry for user root

However, I then attempted to log into my linux box with the administrator
account and it worked, but it said this:

Last login: Tue Jan 29 on tty2
[: too many arguments
[administrator at localhost administrator]$

If I add users simply with smbldap-useradd.pl <user> I have no problems.

Any ideas what might be causing this? I'm using Samba 2.2.2 and Openldap
2.0.21

Many thanks,

Phil.

---