[Samba] Strange filename display problems

Ing John Allkins Connor JConnor at seznam.cz
Mon Jan 28 17:07:09 GMT 2002

I have a production server running Samba 2.0.6 under SuSE Linux 6.4
(kernel 2.2.14).  The network is small, about 10 clients, a mixture
of Win98 and Win95 clients.  This setup works fine.

I need to upgrade to kernel 2.4 for hardware (USB) support reasons,
and so on a second hard disk in the server box I have installed the
SuSE 7.3 system as an upgrade (kernel 2.4-0).  The upgrade also has a
higher version of Samba, 2.2.1a.  Normally the older system is
running.  At the moment I only boot the new system for testing,
because there are serious problems with file display in Network
Neighbourhood.

These problems are as follows.  Using the same basic smb.conf as for
the older system, opening Network Neighbourhood shows the host list
as normal.  Opening the server shows the share names (as folders) as
normal.  However if I open an individual share, then only files and
directories which contain a dot (".") are displayed. So a file such
as test56789.t would be displayed, but a file "test" would not be
shown.  The same applies for directories and subdirectories -
directory.withdot would be visible, directorywithdot is not.

This is with protocol NT and mangle names set to Yes.  A level 3 log
seems to show a scan routine (unfortunately I don't have access to
the log files just now) using a match string of "*.*", which would of
course pick up only names containing dots.

If I change the protocol to LANMAN2, with name mangling on, then I
see all the files and directories, but long names are mangled as in
DOS, both directory and file names.

If I use LANMAN2 with name mangling off, then all the directories are
shown perfectly, even directory names containing Czech characters.
(The system is in the Czech Republic for Czech users and so Czech
characters - ISO 8859-2 - are selected in smb.conf, along with code
page 852).  However, no files at all are displayed, only directories.
Even files whose names would satisfy the DOS 8.3 criterion without
mangling are invisible.

Is this a misconfiguration error, or a bug in Samba (2.2.1a)?  The
same configuration file works perfectly with the production system,
(Samba 2.0.6/kernel 2.2.14), showing long filenames for both
directories and files for all clients.  (Name mangling is enabled in
this system.)

Any suggestions?  Would an upgrade to Samba 2.2.2 fix the problem? Or
are there any issues with running Samba 2.0.6 with kernel 2.4?  Any
help would be deeply appreciated - we do need to change to kernel 2.4
(for reasons not related to Samba or file sharing), basically because
the Linux drivers for the ISDN terminal adaptor that we want to
install work only under kernel 2.4.

Thanks in advance for help,

John Connor.