[Samba]smbfs freezes on file copy

Johnson, Carl Carl.Johnson at HomeStore.com
Mon Jan 28 14:52:04 GMT 2002

Hi,

I just joined this list and was searching the archives.

I came across a thread "smbmounts hang around after windows
client disconnects".  Subject of thread was changed to
"smbfs: process freezes on file copy".  From December
4/5 2001.

I am very interested in this old thread because I am
having the EXACT same problem described.

Certain files on my smbfs mount will freeze the copy
process.  Only a kill -9 will get my shell prompt back.

I have a lot of information regarding the problem...

-It only occurs with certain files.  Roughly 1 out
of every 50 or 100.  I can't find anything in common
with the problem files though.

-Each file stops at the same respective spot EVERY time.

-It has happened to me with a fairly default Red Hat
7.2 AND the latest Debian "woody".  Debian is version
2.2.2debian-2.  Red Hat was 2.2-something also.

-The problem does NOT happen with a Red Hat 6.2 system!
That machine has Samba 2.0.7 and 2.2.14-5 kernel.

The Red Hat 7.2 system had kernel 2.4.7 I think.  The
Debian system has kernel 2.4.17.

The files copy very nice and fast up until the point
that they stop.

I have tcpdumps.  I will glady post portions to the list
or via private email.

Would very much appreciate any help!

Thank you,
Carl