Password chat and UNIX passwd sync

Lasse Taul Bjerre lasse at bjerre.cx
Mon Jan 28 14:02:53 GMT 2002

Hi!

I've just installed a SUSE 7.3  server as a Primary NT Domain Controller.
And it works great.
Now I'm trying to get the unix password sync thing to work and have some
problems.

extract from my smb.conf file:

security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *new*password %n\n *new*password* %n\n *changed*
passwd chat debug = yes
log level = 100

When I try to change the password from the Windows 2000 client I get this
error: "The username or old password is incorrect..."

I've tried looking ind the error log, but can't seem to find anything
relevant. Any ideas would be much apriciated.

/Lasse

BTW The PDC server is also a NIS master for 5 Linux clients and a NIS Slave
(the Mail server) but I was told that I still could use "passwd" as long it
was on the NIS MASTER.