weird samba problem

Martin Rusko rusko at kam.vm.stuba.sk
Mon Jan 28 11:13:08 GMT 2002

Hi Sanjiv,
unfortunately I have also some hardware related network problems, so first of
all I have to solve those problems (Error read socket data, Connection reset
by peer, etc.). Clients have problem with accessing data on WinNTs, and
also copying files between two windows 9x clients is buggy (sometimes it
failed). So it seems to be, that there are shity cables/hubs/NICs whatever it
is. I turned oplocks off on shares where there are really important data. On
home dirs and one public directory oplocks are turned on (end oplock's
problems seems to go away with 2.2.2 there), but those are not so often
used. I can tell you more tomorrow (I haven't seen logs for maybe five days ;-
)).

But if you look at samba 2.2.2 changelog, some oplock related bugs should
be fixed, so maybe Pupeno should try that version.

What really interest me is, how can I tune up samba to make it as less as
possible sensitive to hardware related problems (with turned off oplocks),
until those problems will be fixed. (Maybe some magic with "socket options",
"max xmit", ...) With oplocks turned on (working, or not) and hardware
problems I can be sure, that I will end up with corrupted dos databases. ;-((

So Sanjiv, stay tunned, more will come. ;-)

      mARTin