Syncing WINS

Keith Warno keith.warno at valaran.com
Mon Jan 28 09:43:58 GMT 2002

[snip]

|I have 2 subnets: 172.28.x.x & 192.168.100.X  The 2 subnets are
|connected via a VPN, so there are no blocked ports that I'm aware of.
|
|I have a Samba WINS Server on each subnet, and want to sync them
|together so that everybody can see everybody else.  Is this
|possible via
|remote browse sync?

If you use samba as a WINS server, you should have one and only one.
Otherwise you will create havoc everywhere on your net.

remote browse sync deals with syncing browse lists and nothing more.
The correct way to do this, I believe (as it's worked for me), is to
point ALL smb clients (windows & samba alike) to your singular samba
WINS server.  Then everyone should be happy.