Windows 2000 logon problems - how to set plain text passwords?

Peter Rose peter at cyberscreen.com
Mon Jan 28 01:40:15 GMT 2002

I'm sorry if this is a common question, but I can't find the answer in
the archives.

I recently installed Samba 2.2.1 on my Mandrake 8.1 box and can use it
fine with my Win98 machine, although I did have to edit the registry to
enable plain text passwords to get it working.

I have now acquired a notebook with Win2000, and while this will show
the Samba share in Windows Explorer, attempts to connect to it return
the 'incorrect user or password' dialogue.

I'm not that familiar with Win2000 and the registry is obviously
somewhat different to Win98. I've seen a post on a key to edit,
(rdr/parameters) but it's not present on this machine.

Should I just create this key or what?

Is there a little howto or faq somewhere that shows how to do this in
Win2000 that I can refer to?

Any pointers appreciated.

TIA

Peter Rose
London UK
"I don't like your fashion business mister"
  - Leonard Cohen / First We Take Manhattan