samba 2.2.2 bug: path too deep

craigp at iswnet.com craigp at iswnet.com
Sun Jan 27 16:46:02 GMT 2002

My client is win2k sp2. I think the sp may be significant.

When I try to copy files larger than a few k to the samba server, windoze
exploder hangs for a minute or so, then returns with a 'path too deep'
error. Most of the file seems to have been copied. I can copy from the
samba server ok, altho it seems slow.

I've noticed a few other people have experienced this.

Here's my config:

[global]
  workgroup = LAPUTA
  hosts allow = 10.10.1.
  hosts deny = ALL EXCEPT 10.10.1.
  security = user
  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
  dns proxy = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   guest ok = no

While testing this more (passing in text file to see whether the file is
corrupted in transit), I just noticed another error message: 'The
specified network name is no longer available'. The copied file was indeed
corrupted (full of nulls), but exactly the same size as the original.

--craig