W2K NTBackup 2GB limit to SAMBA_2_2 server

Jens Petersohn jkp at riker.nailed.org
Sun Jan 27 06:20:02 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I've been trying to use samba on a linux system as a backup server by
exporting large cheap ATA disks as backup volumes to Win2K and WinXP
systems.
However, when the backup reaches 2^31 bytes, the backup aborts with a
"Media Error: Unknown Error" on the W2K machine.
I've tried both the release tar ball 2.2.2 of samba and the SAMBA_2_2
CVS branch (as of 1/26/2002). I found a couple of messages in the mail
archive that talked about similiar problems and according to a thread
"smdb 2 GB limit" there was a bugfix commited to HEAD and SAMBA_2_2.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be fixing my problem.
The server is running RH 7.1 w/ glibc 2.2.4 and kernel 2.4.17.
I get LFS=yes and "checking enable of large files"=yes during configure.
So at least it thinks that it is supposed to support large files.
I also wrote a C program to run on the RH server to read/write large
files and it works OK too. Also sum, ls and the other standard tools
work fine with large files on the server.

Does anybody know what is going on?

Thanks,

Jens Petersohn