smbmount

Ross Davis ross at skynet.ie
Sat Jan 26 20:02:16 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I'm trying to connect from a Windows box to a remote SMB server over a modem
link. I've tried the usual stuff like SSH port forwarding, netcat, lmhosts,
disabling file & print sharing, etc.. My Windows XP stubbornly insists that it
can't map a drive because no network exists! I have got smbclient in cygwin
working no problem with SSH port forwarding so what gives? Any way of tricking
windows into thinking a network exists? Wasn't the original smbmount in samba
standalone...could it or has it been compiled under cygwin easily?

Cheers,
Ross