Strange oplock-messages in samba-logs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sat Jan 26 15:49:18 GMT 2002

Sanjiv Bawa wrote:

> I just about had a heart attack with this one....
>
> Try
> 1. Changing the NIC card. This makes it better but will not make it go away.
> 2. Remove all other protocols such as Netbeui, ipx if possible.
> Effectiveness of this was not seen.
> 3. Dump 2.2.2 and 2.2.1. Use 2.0.7. This one WORKS! You may not be able to
> use it since it does not have all the features. But this release works WAY
> faster and has no oplock problems at all. The 222 and 221 code is very buggy
> (despite its claims) and nobody has identified the problem.

If you can show any situation where using the older, buggier, less
secure 2.0.7 release works where 2.2.2 (or better still the current 2.2
cvs) doesnt we would like to know about it.

Samba 2.2 is a little fussier about oplocks, becouse otherewise it can
leave a hung client with a an oplock - denying others access to files
etc.  Bad network cards make it worse.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org