Strange oplock-messages in samba-logs

Sanjiv Bawa sbawa at tabmaster.com
Sat Jan 26 13:20:03 GMT 2002

The NIC card thing is the strangest of all. The NIC card in the machine
works with everything else just fine - except samba. Changing the NIC card
caused fewer oplock problems. Instead of it happening too many times a day,
it was reduced to 2-4 times a day. The NIC card worked fine with everything
else.

Someone on the net who had the same problem said:

>>>Our shop is a mess of machines that are linux, Microsoft, and Sun Unix.
>>>(The company decided to use a Microsoft Windows 2000 machine as our PDC,
and
>>>it keeps our passwords for file and print sharing.  We also have the
>>>majority of our 3d cad data on Microsoft machines.)

>>>Since we have a mixed shop with multiple machines, we wanted the end
users
>>>to only need to change their passwords for file and print shareing in one
>>>spot, so we use domain authintication.  With the newer versions of Samba,
it
>>>will just look the password up on the PDC or BDC and accept or deny
access
>>>to the sun file systems.  Prior to doing this, the end user would have to
>>>call us to change their passwords so we could not only change the
Microsoft
>>>password, but also the smbpassword.

Apparently 2.2.1 and 2.2.2 do domain authentication from another NT box. If
you don't need it, don't use them.

2.2.1 and 2.2.2 are quite simply junk (no matter what the new features are).
You should not use these releases at all. They are very slow and there are
simply too many reports of smbd's that are hung and unkillable. In fact the
only way to fix is to reboot the server. Apparently, these problems do not
seem to affect the guys who write the code, so they don't worry about it too
much (other than to say it does not happen).

So, we have 2 choices. Live with it or do what open source supposedly lets
you do. Fix the bugs....

Good luck. Please let me know if you fix the problems.

Sanjiv