automatically setting up printer drivers on clients (new style)

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Jan 25 22:42:03 GMT 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Bryan Fetzer wrote:

> So what are we supposed to do to add printer drivers
> from a Windows 2000/NT4 Client in an NT4 domain when
> the Samba Server is a member server in an existing nt4
> domain running winbind to enumerate users and groups?
> Or does this just not work. I mean, I have to think
> I'm not the only one who is ever wanted or going to
> want to do this........... I am just thourougly
> confused. I HAVE EVERYTHING WORKING THAT YOU JUST
> STATED to this person, except I cannot set the driver
> for the printer. FROM WIN2K AND A WIN2K DRIVER. I go
> into rpcclient and try to set client drivers from that
> point and NUTHING WORKS THERE EITHER.... I can now
> select from a list of numerous drivers that I have
> successfully uploaded, but boom, nothin works to set
> the actual driver.

Bryan,

I'll answer once out of courtesy, but all caps is a pet peeve
of mine.  You may be expressing frustration or your may not.
I'll assume the former.

Have you tried adding

	printer admin = " @"Domain Admins" "

to the [global] section of smb.conf?

and something like

	[print$]
		path = /export/printers
		write list = " @"Domain Admins" root"

        root# chown -R "DOMAIN+Domain Admins" /export/printers

I'm guessing we are still talking about an "Access Denied" message?
Can you tell from a level 10 log at what point things are failing?

btw....skip rpcclient and use the native tools in Win2k.  You'll
have a much better shot at getting things working.

If you are still having problems, let me know and we figure it out.

chau, jerry