Repost: "hide unreadable" problems with samba-2.2.2 and FreeBSD

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Jan 25 19:12:03 GMT 2002

[I got no replies the last time I posted this]

I had previously done some hacking in the source code of 2.0.x to hide unreadable files
and was delighted to be able to turn this on and off via a config option in samba 2.2.
Unfortunatley, it only seems to work with _files_. Unreadable/unscannable _directories_
are not hidden.
Is this intended behaviour or is there a flaw in the code? Does this problem exists on
Linux implementations? I guess I could ask a lot of direct questions about it, but the
upshot is, what's the deal?
I did a quick hack in dir.c to replace user_can_read_file() with a call to access(1), which
seems a lot simpler anyway. Is access(1) not portable across platforms?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology