Help with archive bit request

Gilbert, John jgilbert at eosbiotech.com
Fri Jan 25 17:06:06 GMT 2002

Hello,
I am trying to get the archive bit to behave under Samba 2.2.2
on a Linux box (Slackware 8.0) serving NT and Win2K clients.

I have "map archive = yes" and "dos filemode = yes".

If I have "force create mode = 0100", creating new files sets the archive
bit (good) and "attrib +a filename" will turn on the archive bit if it
was off (good) but "attrib -a filename" will not clear the archive bit
(bad). Our NT Backup software needs this feature to do incremental
backups, so with this setting all backups are full backups that fill up
tapes.

If I have "force create mode = 0000", new files do not have the archive
bit set (bad), "attrib -a filename" will turn off the archive bit (good)
but "attrib +a filename" won't turn it back on (bad).

The behavior is identical with both the gui properties and command line,
neither tell you when they fail to set the flag (bad MS).

I would like get this problem fixed so that backups work.

John Gilbert
jgilbert at eosbiotech.com