Question regarding preexec (exec)

N K Dewan ndewan at minerva-solutions.com
Fri Jan 25 11:59:03 GMT 2002

All,

I recently decided to add a preexec command in the smb.conf file to log the
event when a user connects to a share.  Most of the documentation that I
have read for the 2.0.5a version of the s/w indicates that the attribute
should be defined at the share level (that's good).  However when I add the
following entry into the config file

[sharename]
	preexec = echo "%u connected to %S from %m" >> /tmp/samba.log

nothing seems to happen.

smbstatus and testparm don't report any problem with the setting , although
I did notice that a preexec param exists in the [global] section too.  Well
, I made the change to the config and added the above mentioned entry to the
[global] section.  No luck.

The permissions on the /tmp/samba.log file and OK since I can successfully
execute the echo command from the server.

Any clues.

Setup
Linux Server (RH6.2 on Intel) running Samba 2.0.5a
WinMe clients connecting

Thanks

Nick Dewan