Local Groups with Samba PDC Members with (third party) program righs not authenicatied by Programs

Barry Trout trout at abclabs.com
Fri Jan 25 09:48:02 GMT 2002

In order to get around the short coming of 2.2.2, I decided to use local
NT groups on each
machine to control access to applications.

For example,
I have a math program that only user a and b can use.
a and b are 2.2.2 PDC users who are succefully logged into the machine
the application has a setup asking for who can run it
so I created a local group put both a and b in it and assign this group
in the application authorization

I have 3 of said apps ,
one ask for a user/pass, appears to check using your current login session

it does work ... applications complains no use by that name found or
just doesn't run
if I use an NT PDC it works .... but I'd rather not. once you have one
NT server it can infect your whole
operations ... I preferred to stay NT Server Free ...

HELP!

does anyone have an idea

PS.  Is there a target date for 3.0?
        I believe the dom group feature planned for 3.0 would solve this
problem!