Forwarding NetBIOS through a Linux Router

Colin Wetherbee cwetherbee at signalogic.denterprises.org
Fri Jan 25 09:32:04 GMT 2002

Paul,

> This help you at all?  I just saw this today actually.
>
> Introduction
> With the Samba NetBIOS forwarder, nbfw, you can browse the local
> windows network transparently to and from your masqueraded network.
> This will most likely be of use for people who have Windows machines
> on a backend network who want to browse the Network Neighbourhood on
> the 'normal' network though their masquarading firewall.
>
> Maybe not what you need - but it might do the trick - here's the link.
> http://nbfw.sourceforge.net/
>
> Tell me if it works please!

With my current configuration, setting NBFW up to do reverse NetBIOS
masquerading would be a colossal task.  There are simply too many
computers behind the router to specify each one individually, and it
would be difficult to keep up with all the new ones that show up.

I'm trying to forward NetBIOS through the router in order to do network
backups.  I guess I may have to just put the backup server on the other
side of the router.  Wah. :(

Colin