alias name can't join domain

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Fri Jan 25 07:23:02 GMT 2002

On 24 Jan 2002, Dwight Tovey wrote:

> I am in the process of trying to set up Samba 2.2.2 on some DEC Alpha
> systems and get them to join our existing Domain with a Win2K PDC.
> After setting up the initial smb.conf file on the machine 'alpha9' (one
> of the DEC servers), I ran the command:
>   smbpasswd -j ITD -r <PDC Name> -U <adminid>%<passwd>
>
> I then started samba and from a Win2K client I logged in to the ITD
> domain and I could then connect to alpha9 and see the shares that I
> defined.  So far so good.
>
> This system has an alias that users need to connect to.  The name
> 'dev_svc' is defined in our DNS with an IP address separate from
> 'alpha9'.  On 'alpha9' the IP alias is setup for the network interface
> so that it will respond to both addresses.  So now I need to define
> 'dev_svc' to Samba as an alias for this machine, so I added the
> following line to my smb.conf:
>   netbios alias = dev_svc
>
> If I try to run the 'smbpasswd -j' command again, it fails probably
> because the physical machine (alpha9) already exists.  If I go to the
> Win2K Admin app 'Active Directory Users and Computers' I can add an
> Object definition for the 'dev_svc' computer, but it still appears that
> Samba can't join the domain with that name.  If I try to browse
> '\\dev_svc\' from a Win2K machine, I get a logon popup which fails since
> I don't have a smbpasswd file (I want authentication to be done through
> the PDC).  I can still connect through the 'alpha9' name though.  In the
> log.smbd file (debug level = 2) I see (among other things):

This is a limitation (feature) of the current Samba code.
If you really need this right now, you should look at running multiple,
concurrent servers on the same host (see "interfaces", "bind interfaces
only", "lock directory", etc...in smb.conf(5)).

You will probably also need to define separate private directories via
compile time options (for MACHINE.SID, secrets.tdb should be ok....).

chau, jerry