alias name can't join domain

Dragos dragos.delcea at farmexim.ro
Thu Jan 24 23:04:17 GMT 2002

On Thursday 24 January 2002 07:34 pm, Dwight Tovey wrote:
> I didn't get a response to my earlier request, so I'll try rephrasing.
>
> I am in the process of trying to set up Samba 2.2.2 on some DEC Alpha
> systems and get them to join our existing Domain with a Win2K PDC.
> After setting up the initial smb.conf file on the machine 'alpha9' (one
> of the DEC servers), I ran the command:
>   smbpasswd -j ITD -r <PDC Name> -U <adminid>%<passwd>
>
> I then started samba and from a Win2K client I logged in to the ITD
> domain and I could then connect to alpha9 and see the shares that I
> defined.  So far so good.
>
> This system has an alias that users need to connect to.  The name
> 'dev_svc' is defined in our DNS with an IP address separate from
I think you can't define in DNS a name with an underscore( "_" ) in it.
Maybe thats your problem...
> 'alpha9'.  On 'alpha9' the IP alias is setup for the network interface
> so that it will respond to both addresses.  So now I need to define
> 'dev_svc' to Samba as an alias for this machine, so I added the
> following line to my smb.conf:
>   netbios alias = dev_svc
>
> If I try to run the 'smbpasswd -j' command again, it fails probably
> because the physical machine (alpha9) already exists.  If I go to the
> Win2K Admin app 'Active Directory Users and Computers' I can add an
> Object definition for the 'dev_svc' computer, but it still appears that
> Samba can't join the domain with that name.  If I try to browse
> '\\dev_svc\' from a Win2K machine, I get a logon popup which fails since
>
> Any ideas as to how I can get alias names to be accepted into a Domain?
>
> Thanks
> 	/dwight
I'm not in the know to comment on ohter matters, but try change the DNS name
to dev-src (be careful, the NetBios name can contain underscore, DNS name
can't, better change them both; I've had in the past problems having them
different; and look in /etc/hosts to have consistent names)

hope this helps,
dragos