[samba] prefix missing in subject

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Jan 24 17:01:09 GMT 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:25:54AM -0000, Greg Zartman wrote:

> > I did not see the beginning of the thread but I will just add that it is
> > STUPID to put [listname] in the subject. IMHO It wastes screen real
>
> I can't see how having [SAMBA] at the beginning of the subject degrades
> your screen space to any noticeable degree.  Look at the subject line of
> this email.  Does it affect the apperance in any way?  No.  We're only
> talking seven characters here.

I disagree.  If you are running a text mode mail client (e.g mutt)
you only 40 characters for the subject line.  Adding [samba] eats up
20% of that space.  BTW, mailman adds a trailing space to the list name
so you get eight characters.

> > and serves NO useful purpose except to make it harder to tell what the
>
> Well, for those who don't have the expertise to setup complex mail
> sorting, it's quite useful.  The current Samba mailing list messages
> simply plop into your inbox, looking like any other email.

OK I'm starting to be convinced.  Maybe a trial period of adding the
list name is in order?

> As an aside: I've lurked in this and another Samba list for over a year
> now and I view this more of a beginners to intermediate list than
> anything.  Most of the posts are simply setup questions that have been
> answered dozens of times.

Another good point.

> > Procmail is your friend!!
>
> Agreed.  I love procmail.  Problem is, procmail isn't exactly intuitive
> to the NIX beginner.  I'd bet that most of the newcomers to this list are
> folks trying to transition from a Windows solution to a Linux-Samba one.
> I have no doubt that they could, in time, figure out procmail.  Problem
> is they first need to know what the heck procmail is and then how to use
> it.

Of course you can *remove* the subject line added by mailman using
a procmail filter.

Tim.