Tracking users logging in and out

Antony Healey antony at cit.uws.edu.au
Thu Jan 24 14:37:04 GMT 2002

> Yan Seiner wrote:
> >
> > 1) compile with --with-utmp, then track that.
> > 2) use preexec & postexec, and require users to log on to a specific
> > share.  This may not work right, though.
> >
> > Good luck!
>
> You can also compile --with-pam, and enable a pam sessions module to do
> the trick (obey pam restrictions = yes needs to be set in your smb.conf
> as well).

All very good ideas, unfortunately the following happens...

For utmp, preexec and postexec, they are share based. Shares are not
persistant and the user gets "logged out" after a period of time, until they
use ("log in to") it again. This ends up meaning that during the course of 1
hour behind a computer, the user could appear to log in and out many many
times.

We're also running Tru64, which doesn't support PAM that I'm aware of.

Any other suggestions would be great!

Regards,
Antony.
-----
Unix Systems Administrator
School of Computing & IT
University of Western Sydney
Phone: (02) 4736 0771
Fax: (02) 4736 0770

Programmer (n): One who makes the lies the salesman told come true.

She said she had nothing to wear. I smiled.