User and printer problems with Samba on MacOS X

Jari Lehto jari.lehto at maccarry.fi
Thu Jan 24 13:16:00 GMT 2002

Two questions about Samba 2.2.2 on MacOS X 10.1.x (a workstation with
self installed Samba, not a server with Apple's preinstalled Samba):

A small network of 3 Macs and a PC laptop.

1. I tried to add an user using SWAT, but first it said that can't do,
user does not exist in /etc/passwd. I looked in /etc/passwd, and the
comment said that this is used only in single user mode. So I added the
required user with Users PreferencePane and tried again. Now it
complains that it can't find http://localhost:901/passwd.
What's wrong? How can I add an user to Samba running in MacOS X? I tried
to enable guest access, but the PC just keeps complaining that I have
not enough privileges to access the server. And I used to think that
making Samba run smoothly on MacOS X server 1.2 was a trouble... at
least I did that without any help other than Samba manuals.

2. I installed the Samba server for two reasons: to share files so that
a PC laptop user can also reach them, and also to make the ethernet
connected laser printer available for this PC laptop user (Win 98 I
think).
The printer is a HP LaserJet 1200 series, and Macs use it the usual way,
via AppleTalk/Ethernet. Browsing through a bunch of manpages I figured
out that I could try to build the printer sharing in Samba using atprint
instead of lpr, because I didn't want to try to make the HP work with
lpr. The PC can see the sharing host, but again it complains that I
don't have enough right to browse and select a printer.

Does someone out there have a working configuration for this kind of
case, or do I just tell the PC guy to buy a Personal MacLAN package to
solve the problem. There is no dedicated server in this network that
could take care of the file- and printer sharing, so I decided to use
the G4 workstation, which stays on all the time anyway.

Jari Lehto							email jari.lehto at maccarry.fi
System support
OfficeLine Mac&Carry Finland Oy
Authorized Apple Center & Service Provider