alias name can't join domain

Dwight Tovey dtovey at itd.state.id.us
Thu Jan 24 10:21:44 GMT 2002

I didn't get a response to my earlier request, so I'll try rephrasing.

I am in the process of trying to set up Samba 2.2.2 on some DEC Alpha
systems and get them to join our existing Domain with a Win2K PDC.
After setting up the initial smb.conf file on the machine 'alpha9' (one
of the DEC servers), I ran the command:
  smbpasswd -j ITD -r <PDC Name> -U <adminid>%<passwd>

I then started samba and from a Win2K client I logged in to the ITD
domain and I could then connect to alpha9 and see the shares that I
defined.  So far so good.

This system has an alias that users need to connect to.  The name
'dev_svc' is defined in our DNS with an IP address separate from
'alpha9'.  On 'alpha9' the IP alias is setup for the network interface
so that it will respond to both addresses.  So now I need to define
'dev_svc' to Samba as an alias for this machine, so I added the
following line to my smb.conf:
  netbios alias = dev_svc

If I try to run the 'smbpasswd -j' command again, it fails probably
because the physical machine (alpha9) already exists.  If I go to the
Win2K Admin app 'Active Directory Users and Computers' I can add an
Object definition for the 'dev_svc' computer, but it still appears that
Samba can't join the domain with that name.  If I try to browse
'\\dev_svc\' from a Win2K machine, I get a logon popup which fails since
I don't have a smbpasswd file (I want authentication to be done through
the PDC).  I can still connect through the 'alpha9' name though.  In the
log.smbd file (debug level = 2) I see (among other things):
===================================8<-----------------------------
[2002/01/24 09:56:04, 0, pid=1923]
rpc_client/cli_netlogon.c:cli_net_auth2(160)
  cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
[2002/01/24 09:56:04, 0, pid=1923]
rpc_client/cli_login.c:cli_nt_setup_creds(72)
  cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
[2002/01/24 09:56:04, 0, pid=1923]
smbd/password.c:connect_to_domain_password_server(1372)
  connect_to_domain_password_server: unable to setup the PDC credentials
to machine HQISDC01. Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
[2002/01/24 09:56:04, 0, pid=1923]
smbd/password.c:domain_client_validate(1591)
  domain_client_validate: Domain password server not available.

Any ideas as to how I can get alias names to be accepted into a Domain?

Thanks
	/dwight

--
Dwight N. Tovey                     Unix System Administrator /
Developer