help: win2k client - remote procedure call failed

John Hayward John.C.Hayward at wheaton.edu
Thu Jan 24 09:57:50 GMT 2002

Dear Samba People,
   I am attempting to set up a samba 2.2.2 PDC for a win2k lab.
When I attempt to join the domain served by samba I get from my win2k
machine:
===
The following error occured attempting to join the domain "csmath";
The remote procedure call failed.
====
   This occures after I click OK and answer the dialogue box about name
and password of an account with permission to join the domain and press
OK.  I hear the disk on the PC making a little noise before this error
message comes up.  If I enter an invalid password I get a different
message relative to unknown user name or bad password.

With debugging on level 1 I get the following in the log file associated
with the client:
=====
[2002/01/24 10:51:34, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:startsmbfilepwent(171)
  startsmbfilepwent_internal: unable to open file
/usr/pkg/etc/samba/private/smbpasswd. Error was Permission denied
[2002/01/24 10:51:34, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:pdb_getsampwrid(1459)
  unable to open passdb database.
=====

Any help would be appreciated on what might be wrong with my samba
configuration.

johnh...