Winbind (was: Sharing a directory)

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Jan 24 06:43:14 GMT 2002

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to implement a Mandrake Linux 8.0 installation on our WinNT
> network.  I have gotten the installation complete & Samba is working.  I can
> access shares on the Samba box when logged in from a Win98 PC using my test
> user accounts but not by actual users.  I have my test users accounts on
> both boxes(Linux & NT PDC).  I have set up Samba to use remote
> authentication(NT PDC).  The Samba box is part of the same domain.
>
> Do I need to duplicate all my NT user accounts to the Linux box?
> If I "must" duplicate user accounts, is there some utility out there that
> will do this for me?
> Is there a way that I can give all my NT users access to a share but not
> duplicate there accounts?
> Where can I find some documentation on this process?

The first question is whether you need authentication. If it is
acceptable for it to be guest ok = yes, and limit by IP addresses, that
might be easier.

As for authenticating, if you don't want to duplicate user accounts, you
must setup winbind.

I have compiled samba-2.2.2 RPMs for Mandrake 8.0 (among others) with
winbind support, which are available at:

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/mandrake8.0/samba-2.2.2/

If you are running the updated 2.4.8 kernel from security updates, your
kernel will also be capable of using XFS, and thus XFS ACLs. There are
samba-2.2.2 RPMS with winbind and ACL support at:

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/mandrake8.0/samba-2.2.2-xfs/

There is a bit of documentation and sample configs there also.

You might also want to check out
http://mandrakeuser.org/connect/csamba5.html#winbind

The two aspects that I think is missing from the documentation are:
1)If you use "template home directory = /home/%D/%U", you need to make
the directory /home/%D (where %D is the name of any domain for which you
  want to allow access)

2)If you want users to have console acces (or want to test by using a
console login), you must also uncomment "template shell  = /bin/bash" in
the smb.conf file.

Please note that a lot of changes have been made in the default smb.conf
file to make certain things easier to accomplish. It will probably be
created as /etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew. Please take a look at it.

Also, there is an article on Mandrakeforum with some more docs on other
slight changes:

http://mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=1376&lang=en

Let me know if you have problems.
Cellphone * Work       +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497 ext 202