Migrating servers

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Thu Jan 24 05:37:20 GMT 2002

Ashley Keating wrote:

> I have a server that needs to be wiped and cleaned.  Right now it is my PDC
> I have about 40 users and 60 machines that depend on it.  I am running
> Samba 2.2.1a on Redhat 7.2  on the server (Ultra) which needs the make
> over.  I have another box prepared with Samba 2.2.1a and redhat 7.2.  I
> want to migrate form one to the other.  If someone has done this some
> caveats would be nice.  I haven't found any way to do a partial
> migration.  Such as leave Ultra as the PDC while I move over the users and
> see what breaks.

	Ok, two variations on a theme.

	1) install the new machine as a member server
	2) run the new machine in security = server

	I've done the latter: build a new samba and
	point it at the old one (Samba or NT) as the
	authentication server.

	Then use "valid users" to controll who can
	log in where, as you migrate people's files
	from machine to machine.

--dave