SAMBA is slow.

Thorsten Brabetz T.Brabetz at ee.qub.ac.uk
Thu Jan 24 05:11:10 GMT 2002

On Thursday 24 January 2002 12:42, Joel Hammer wrote:
> To find where any binary program looks for a file, this sort of trick often
> works:
> strings `which smbclient` grep smb.conf
> returns:
>
> -s smb.conf           pathname to smb.conf file
> /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
>
> So, it looks like my smbclient looks at /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf

Brilliant! That worked, and I now know that my smbclient is indeed looking at
the right location! Thanks a lot!

<...>

> It seesms that the -s option allows to to specify your smb.conf location.
> And, you can change the buffer size from the comamnd line with smbclient
> with -b.

Yes, sorry, I found this one myself. My problem is that if I access the
network via Konqueror (KDE 2.2), I have not yet found a way of how to specify
the command line. So it seems that I must find a way to specify buffersize in
smb.conf, or I will always be limited to command line operation, i.e. I will
not be able to access my network account under KDE 2.2...

Anyway, thank you very much indeed for answering my mail, your reply has
already got me a good bit on in my quest!

Best wishes

Thorsten

Thorsten Brabetz
Queen's University Belfast