AW: SAMBA is slow.

Stephan M. Ott sambalist at okdesign.de
Thu Jan 24 05:04:14 GMT 2002

Where Samba looks for the smb.conf depends on a) the version you use and b)
if you installed the tar-Version or the rpm-Version shipped with SuSE. The
Version shipped with SuSE normally looks for it in /etc/smb.conf. But when
you install the tar-Version (thats what I did because I needed the new
2.2.2-Version) it will be looked for in /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf. My
first mistake was to install first the rpm-Version and then over-installed
the new one. SO I had two different smb.conf-files: On in /etc and one in
/usr/local/samba/lib. UNfortunately I did every changes in /etc/smb.conf and
was suprised that it had absolutely no effect on Samba, until I learned that
there is another smb.conf:-)
Maybe you did the same and therefore have the same "problem" as I had ?

Stephan