SMBSTATUS PROBLEM

Kamlesh Mutha kamlesh at indranetworks.com
Thu Jan 24 04:55:04 GMT 2002

Hi List ,
I was installing new SAMBA 2.2.2 on my Red Hat 6.2 linux box . The
installation went on smoothly.
When I ran the smbstatus command it gave me following error message :

/*-----------------------------------------------------------*/
Samba version 2.2.2
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine

Failed to open byte range locking database
ERROR: Failed to initialise locking database
Can't initialise locking module - exiting

I have specified lock directroy in smb.conf file as follows :

lock diretory = /var/lock/samba

And this directory is present there with 755 permissions. I am not able to
figure out what exactly is going wrong ?
Could anyone please help me ?

Thanks in advance ,
Kamlesh.