SAMBA is slow.

Joel Hammer Joel at HammersHome.com
Thu Jan 24 04:47:03 GMT 2002

To find where any binary program looks for a file, this sort of trick often
works:
strings `which smbclient` grep smb.conf
returns:

-s smb.conf           pathname to smb.conf file
/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf

So, it looks like my smbclient looks at /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf

Another trick is to start smbclient with an obviously bad option, like so:

smbclient -XXXXX
returns:

snipped lines
Version 2.2.2
	-s smb.conf           pathname to smb.conf file
	-O socket_options     socket options to use
	-R name resolve order use these name resolution services only
	-M host               send a winpopup message to the host
Numerous lines snipped here
	-b xmit/send buffer   changes the transmit/send buffer (default: 65520)
XXXX: Not enough '\' characters in service

It seesms that the -s option allows to to specify your smb.conf location.
And, you can change the buffer size from the comamnd line with smbclient
with -b.

Joel