Tracking users logging in and out

Antony Healey antony at cit.uws.edu.au
Wed Jan 23 20:55:03 GMT 2002

Hi,

This isn't strictly a Samba question, but administrators may have come across it.

We'd like to be able to log user events (logging in and out) which dates and times to a central file. Trolling through the multitude of log files we generate (one per machine with over 200 machines gets icky), so we figured on a syslog style method using LOCAL7 or similar.

This is proving a little difficult to find.

An alternative idea was the send a message on login and logout (maybe with the logon.bat script) to the PDC, but "net send" fails as Samba doesn't accept the message. I'm assuming that's an RPC "issue".

Does any have any ideas on how to track these user events to the PDC (or any unix remote server)?

Regards,
Antony.
-----
Unix Systems Administrator
School of Computing & IT
University of Western Sydney
Phone: (02) 4736 0771
Fax: (02) 4736 0770

Programmer (n): One who makes the lies the salesman told come true.

She said she had nothing to wear. I smiled.