Solved? W2k into Samba PDC

Tom Haws trh at timberline.ca
Wed Jan 23 14:09:03 GMT 2002

Chris Woods wrote:

> I reboot and login as the user and get the following logon messages:
>
> "The system cannot log you on to this domain because the system's
> computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on
> that account is incorrect."

I had exactly the same problem.  I had a perfectly working 2.2.2 PDC for the TEST domain during my testing, and I thought I'd try another server with a different domain, to see what would happen
trying to connect a PC from one domain to shares on another.

I created a new PDC for the TEST2 domain, copied the appropriate files over (including smbpasswd), and told a new PC to join the TEST2 domain.  It successfully registered itself in the TEST2 domain,
but when I went to log in to the TEST2 domain from that PC, I got the above message.  Same config (I thought), why the h*ll was this happening!?

After much pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth, I decided to go back to basics and follow the Samba Fault Tree, from http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch09_02.html.  While doing a
"smbclient -L localhost -U%", I got a "Password:" prompt, which the notes told me was because of a bad guest account.  Which, of course, I had forgotten to add to unix on the new server...

My smb.conf had:

	guest account = ntguest
        guest ok = Yes

and I added the user ntguest to /etc/passwd and shadow, and it fixed everything!

-Hope this helps,
-Tom
Tom Haws
System Administrator   Timberline Forest Inventory Consultants
Tel: (250) 562-2628    1579 9th Ave, Prince George, B.C. Canada V2L 3R8
Fax: (250) 562-6942    http://www.timberline.ca