Connecting to SCO Openserver with Windows 2000 Clients via samba

Steve Maroney steve at stevenet.dhs.org
Wed Jan 23 13:10:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Pere Raphael wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I hope someone out there can help me.
>
> I have a network with SCO Openserver running samba to share files for
> access by windows clients. We are currently using windows 95 clients
> without any problems.
> We want to upgrade to Windows 2000 and XP. We have setup a test machine
> and attempted to connect to the Samba shares. We had problems connecting
> so we changed the registry setting on the Windows 2000 workstation not
> to use encrypted passwords. This allowed us to successfully map to the
> Samba shares.
>
> The problem I have is that everytime the Windows 2000 workstation is
> restarted the mapped drive to the samba share prompts for a password.
>
> What I will ideally like is to have the drives mapped once and not have
> to keep specifying the passwords again. I have used the save password
> feature when mapping the drive.
>
> I have thought of adding encrypt passwords = yes to the smb.conf file,
> but do not fully understand the implications of this to the Windows 95
> clients which are working at the moment.
>
> Any suggestions will help.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Pere
>
> --

I had a very similar setup once. Windows 95 & 98 WS's with Samba on SCO.
I decided to upgrade one of the 98 boxes to 2000 Professional and didn't
have one problem. Worked beautiful. I also think I did have the encrypt
passwords=yes on the samba server. Im not sure what release the Windows 95
machines were running but it they also worked with the samba server.

Im not sure why the Windows 2000 box prompts for a password. Maybe since
it not encrypted, it wont save it for security sake !?!

It can't hurt to add encrypte passwords=yes in smb.conf. Just make you
back it up first.

After doing that, test the Windows 95 machines. Also make sure they have
the latest service packs.

Good luck.

Thank you,
Steve Maroney

Ps. How can you work with SCO ?  When I worked with it, I always spend
hours trying to find the most popular software that has been ported to
SCO. All because half the software I tried to compile from source, DIDN'T!
(Im not a C/C++ guru so I didn't know the errors were.

The TCP/IP stack is crap !

Better yet, it isn't being developed yet, I think. Since SCO was bought
out by Ransom Love, CEO of  Caldera Linux.