ACL Support

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at mesco.com
Wed Jan 23 11:59:03 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 14:10, Josh Konkol wrote:

> Can someone please point me in the right direction on adding acl-support to
> my Suse 7.3 i386 kernel?
>
> I'm currently running Samba 2.2.2 with Winbind and I want to see what the acl
> support gets me.
>
> Thanks
>
> Josh

You need to enable POSIX ACL support in your kernel first.  I know
nothing about the default Suse 7.3 kernel, but you probably need to use
the stock 2.4.17 kernel with an ACL patch available at
http://acl.bestbits.at, then recompile it with the POSIX ACL support for
ext2/ext3 turned on.  The website has detailed instructions of how to do
all this.  XFS also implements POSIX ACL (patch against 2.4.14 is
available at the SGI website), but I'm not sure if Samba honors the XFS
implementation of ACL (my faint memory tells me that it does).

Once the POSIX ACL is enabled on your Linux server, you can recompile
your samba with the '--with-acl-support' option.

Regards,

Kohei