PAM authentification with SAMBA

Milan Kuchta kuchta at mat.savba.sk
Wed Jan 23 03:57:03 GMT 2002

I tried to set up my Debian box to use smbpasswd for PAM authentification
(using libpam-smbpass package).
Used Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf supplied.

There is an example for login PAM conf file:
# The PAM configuration file for the 'login' service
auth	required	pam_smbpass.so	nodelay
account	required	pam_smbpass.so	nodelay
session	required	pam_smbpass.so	nodelay
password	required	pam_smbpass.so	nodelay

It did not work (error: module not found) and I had to change it to

# The PAM configuration file for the 'login' service
auth	required	pam_smbpass.so	nodelay
account	required	pam_unix.so
session	required	pam_unix.so
password	required	pam_smbpass.so	nodelay

Is there error in abovementioned doc? Have I done right thing? Also where
can I find documentation for pam_smbpass.so module (parameters etc...)

Thanks

Milan