complete lockup w/ Samba 2.2.2 -- oplock problems??

Paul Miller paul-samba at pinheiro.tcimet.net
Tue Jan 22 21:48:03 GMT 2002

Samba 2.2.2-11 (Debian)
Linux 2.4.18-pre3 (also occurred with 2.4.17)
Debian 3.0 (testing)
Windows XP Pro client

This is the second time Samba has caused a serious system crash, complete
lock up.  System will not respond.  I think I can reproduce it.  Anyhow,
here is what I was doing when the failure occurred:  I was copying large
files to the server while editing some text files.  I copied a small text
file to the server, then immediately opened it for editing, changed a few
lines, then saved it.  WinXP locked up for about 30 seconds, then reported
that it could not save the file and the other copying operations failed.
At that point, I lost all connectivity to the server and had to do a hard
reboot.  I just cranked the log level up to 3, but I'm not so sure I want
to crash my system again.  I have had problems with oplocks and text files
before... The oplock problem was previously discussed on this list, but no
solution was determined.

Has anyone has this failure occur?  Fixes?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
-Paul