[samba] prefix missing in subject

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Tue Jan 22 17:43:03 GMT 2002

Let's agree that this is holy war territory.  It's a matter of opinion,
with neither side being right by fiat.

I prefer to have the list name in the header.  Reason being that I get
my mail on any one of three computers, with days going by before I can
get to one of them.

I tend to pop in and out of lists quite a bit as well - I have a habit
of lurking on a list for a week or two before trying some new software
package.  Reading messages on the list gives me a good feel for how good
the package is and who is supporting it.

At any one time I may be subscribed to 4-5 lists - but some of them I
stay on only for a week or two.

I equate procmail with my washing machine - it's great for getting rid
of dirty laundry, but that does not mean I enjoy dealing with dirty
underwear.  I avoid procmail when I can.

So, for someone like me, put the list name in the subject.  It makes it
easier.  And if you don't like it, write a procmail recipe that strips
[*] from the subject line.

And for those who say it wastes space - get a bigger screen, or, if
you're a real retrogrouch, set up framebuffer and use 80x142 screen type
;-)

Oh yeah, from the questions on this list, some posters don't know the
proper use of a compiler, or rpm - how do you expect them to set up
procmail???  Samba is gaining acceptance from a lot of newbies to Linux
- let's make it as easy as possible, shall we?

Just my $0.01 (what with the recession and all).

--Yan

--
Daddy, did all the hair that fell off your head stick to your arms?
Akari, age 4