Changing File Permissions to allow multiple users file access

Ryan Yetter yetter at yetterprises.com
Tue Jan 22 15:07:09 GMT 2002

I have a question regarding using Samba for file sharing with Win2k
clients.  I have a client whom I would like to set up a Linux server for
using Samba for filesharing, but there is one thing I haven't figured
out how to do that I could've sworn I had done before on my own server
in the past.  My client has several users whom share files on a regular
basis.  Like Person A will have access to Person B's files and Person C
will have access to Person B's files, but Person B won't have access to
either Person A or Person C's files nor will Person A have access to
Person C's files or vice versa.  Now, with an NT server, you just go
into the directory or the file right-click on it, choose properties and
then Security.  Now I can do this with the samba share too, but it won't
let me add users whom can access the file from the domain.  I have their
home directory on the linux server mapped to the H: drive on the
workstation through Samba and their My Documents folder has been moved
to H:\My Documents.  Everything seems to work fine other than this one
issue with trying to allow only certain users to have access to files.

I'm using Win2k SP2 and Samba 2.2.1a and my smb.conf file is as follows:

[global]
        bind interfaces only = true
        interfaces = 192.168.10.50
        netbios name = samba-head
        workgroup = machines
        security = domain
        domain logons = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        os level = 64
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        local master = yes
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /home/%u -g machines -s
/bin/false -M %u
        printer admin = @machines
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        load printers = yes
        logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
        logon drive = N:
        logon home = \\samba-head\%u
        logon script = logon.bat

[netlogon]
        path = /usr/local/netlogon
        writeable = no
        write list = ntadmin

[profiles]
        path = /machines/profiles
        writeable = yes
        create mask = 0600
        directory mask = 0700

[sample-share]
        path = /tmp

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writeable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   public = yes