machine accounts

Joel Barnett joel at allegro-music.com
Tue Jan 22 09:03:10 GMT 2002

From:           	"James Bear" <james.s.bear at sendit.nodak.edu>
To:             	<samba at lists.samba.org>
Subject:        	machine accounts
Date sent:      	Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:30:29 -0600

> Well I thank everybody that helped me get swat working.  I am very thankful.
>
> Now, though, it seems I have more problems.  When I try to join my samba
> domain, my XP box says "a domain controller for the domain edith could not
> be contacted."
>
> Okay, well, after reading up on things in this list, it seems that I need to
> create a machine account.  I didn't have to on my NT box.  When I join the
> domain with that,  it just creates an account automatically.  So how do I do
> this with Samba?

1. Add a unix account for the machine. If the machine is
waldo, add a unix account for waldo$. I use webmin, but
adduser works. Check the samba howto for syntax.
2. Add a samba account for the machine. You can use smbpasswd
for this. As root "smbpasswd -a -m waldo" w/o quotes.

> For helpers, here is my smb.conf file.  TAke into account that I do have teh
> security set as share right now and it is wide open to anybody on the
> network just because I like to be able to use it as a storage medium.

If you want the samba box to be a pdc, then security should be
USER.