smbpasswd ?

Paul Reilly pareilly at tcd.ie
Tue Jan 22 06:33:04 GMT 2002

Hi,

I'm using smbpasswd from the 2.2.2 samba and it's acting a bit odd:
Scenario: Running as a non-priveleged user, I run smbpasswd to change by
samba passwd in /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

If I run smbpasswd with no argument it correctly prompts for the
following:

% smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Password changed for user paulr

However if I run it with my username as an argument, it does the
following:

% smbpasswd pareilly
Old SMB password:
Password changed for user paulr

ie - it never asks for the new password, but does change my password to
something, as the entry in the samba private password has changed! I need
to be able script smbpasswd in expect, but it's not acting as I would
expect. Why doesn't it prompt for the new password?!

Any advice appreciated,

Paul