Antwort: Re: Problems Accessing Samba through a Firewall

MH - Entwicklung entwicklung at heubach-edv.de
Tue Jan 22 00:40:55 GMT 2002

Well,

I missed to explain some details about the network structure:

As mentioned the Samba host sits in the DMZ behind a firewall.
The LAN is organized as an NT Domain with MS NT Servers. Windows Name Resolution is done via DNS and LMHOSTS. DNS is working fine (on both servers and clients) also LMHOSTS has no missleading entries.

If I enter an UNC Path like \\myserver\myshare in Windows Explorer this should directly invoke a netbios session on Port 139, I suppose? There should be no other protocols involved. If indeed browsing is the problem it should work by opening ports 137/138 UDP? Maybe there is a missconfiguration in the firewall. I will check this in the afternoon (as I mentioned the firewall is not maintained by me).

In order to have full access to a smb server (Samba or Windows) it should be sufficient to open Port 139 TCP and 137/138 UDP towards the smb server. Is this correct?

Regards
Manfred