Browsing Election - TIE!

josh at trutwins.homeip.net josh at trutwins.homeip.net
Mon Jan 21 16:12:05 GMT 2002

> josh at trutwins.homeip.net wrote:
>>
>> I recently replied to praise's post about Basic Browsing Problems,
>> this is related.  Reading the O'Riley documentation I found out an
>> interesting thing.  It appears that there is a tie in the browsing
>> election on my LAN.
>
> 	Oh my guts and galoshes, that's bad!
>
>> Both samba and one of my Windows98 machines have the __MSBROWSE__
>> property when I execute a nmblookup -A host.  (Only the samba machine
>> has the <1b> though.  When running "nmblookup WORKGROUP#b", the IP of
>> my samba server is returned.
>>
>> The logs state that the samba machine is the local/preferred/domain
>> master, any ideas on what to do about this misbehaving Windows
>> machine?
>
> 	I think you'll need to reinstall the client and
> 	server: fortunately that on;y takles a couple of
> 	minutes, right from the control panel->network
> 	window.

THANK YOU!  That did it!  I also set the Browse Master property to Disabled
on this guy.  Not sure if re-installing the client is what did it or Disable
Browse Master, but it's fixed.

Sweet, now I just need to figure out how to share my printer drivers.  I
guess without a Windows NT box, I need to look into something like imprints.
 Anyone have any luck with that?

Thanks again!

Josh