security = domain

Conor Casey ccasey at jgsi.com
Mon Jan 21 14:37:06 GMT 2002

I am a first time user of Samba, and have recently installed version
2.2.2 on one of my machines running Solaris 2.8. The software installed
fine, so i then proceed to define the smb.conf file along with its
security level etc. Firstly, from reading the documentation, i really
don't see what difference it makes if i choose security level user,
server or domain, but our Windows Admin here seemed to think DOMIN would
be the best option. Anyway, after following the instructions layed out
on how to join an NT Domain in Samba 2.2.2, when i attempt to access the
files from the server i get prompted for a username and password, but no
matter what username/password pair i enter i get rejected.

I have an account on both the windows and solaris box, both user name
and passwords are the same on each, however nothing seems to work. If i
change the smb.conf file to specify security = share or user or server,
i just log in to the windows box and once i find the server name in the
network neightbourhood, i can just click on it and get access to all
directories i have shared out, without getting prompted for a username
and password.

To be honest i am totally confused, and while it seems straight forward
from the documentation, it seems as if i am missing a step or something.
Has anyone seen this before or can anyone help? Any suggestions would be
much appreciated.

Thanks you for your time,
Conor