Windows XP and Samba 2.2.2 PDC

Steve steven.fisher at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 21 14:00:04 GMT 2002

Hi all,
	I have been looking at the lists here looking
for the correct procedure for logging on a Win XP client
to a samba 2.2.2 PDC.

I'm running Red Hat 7.2 with samba-2.2.2 (RPM install)
The trouble I'm getting is that the XP box can connect to the
PDC (root user in smbpasswd), and adds a user. Then the XP box requests a
reboot for the
changes to take effect. Once at the login screen I type a UID and Pass
of a valid user within /etc/passwd and smbpasswd.
I then receive a message that the PDC can't be found or the user is not
valid.
I also cannot logon with the root user. I can remember getting a message
along the way
on a previous attempt that secure communication on the machine trust account
had not
been set up. But the machine account has been added to smbpasswd using the
"ON THE FLY"
addition script from the how-to in section 8.

Logging on as a local user I can map a share using the UID and Pass that was
rejected for PDC Login
(Win2k joins and logs in ok)

A reg hack was suggested in the list where the .reg file was in documents
folder of samba, however Win XP rejected the .reg file with the error
message "The Key Selected Is Invalid" (WinXP_SignOrSeal.reg).

My questions are :-

1) Has anyone managed to get a Win XP box to login with a roaming profile?
2) If so was the reg hack method used?
3) If so how can I get the reg to accept the reg file ?
4) If all else fails ...... err ......... HELP!!! :o)

Steve