Basic browsing problem

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Mon Jan 21 11:51:03 GMT 2002

Most likely a config problem:

(1) in smb.conf make sure you have:

    encrypt passwords = yes    (Win98 SE uses encrypted passwords by default)

(2) each Windows user needs a Unix account/password and Samba account/password.
The unix and samba accounts/passwords must match.

Create unix accounts

    #adduser "user1"
     password "user1 password"

(repeat for each user)

Create samba passwords

    #smbpasswd -a "user1"

(repeat for each user)

(3) Now on the windows side. User the same login name and password for each user
that you did above.

(4) If you are using static IP's, you may also want to add your hosts and IP's to
the /etc/hosts file

That should get you going:  Also see:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/index.html