Joining w2k domain

John Ross jross at rfintegration.com
Mon Jan 21 05:59:02 GMT 2002

Hi,
    I am tring to implement Samba via HP's CIFS implementation. Not having any luck, I've poured through the mailing list archives searching on the ever popular NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED error. Obviously I have failed to search correctly. Here is a picture of what I have done.

Installed CIFS 9k Server on an HPUX11.0 box running NIS
created a smbpasswd file from /etc/passwd
added smb server on w2k server in the Active Directory Users/Computers (under computers) with the default being domain admins

I realize this has been asked before, but have avoided sending this in, but am now stumped as well as embarrassed. Any help is appreciated ....

Regards,

John

 here is the out put of smbclient:

./smbclient -L hpux -N
added interface ip=192.168.2.1 bcast=192.168.2.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[default] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.9]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        homes          Disk
        apps           Disk      Apps Directory
        tmp            Disk
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server (2.0.9))

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        w2k
        hpux               Samba Server (2.0.9)

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        default               w2k

the smb.conf file:
# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the

[global]

netbios name = hpux

workgroup = default

server string = Samba Server (2.0.9)

client code page = 437

hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

log file = /var/opt/samba/log.%m

max log size = 1000

security = domain

password server = w2k

encrypt passwords = yes

smb passwd file = /var/opt/samba/private/smbpasswd

hosts equiv = /etc/hosts

socket options = TCP_NODELAY

local master = yes

read only = no

preserve case = yes

short preserve case = no

dos filetime resolution = yes

syslog = 0

acl schemes = hpux_posix hpux_hfs unix none

max open files = 2038

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

[homes]

[apps]

comment = Apps Directory

path = /apps/netscape

browseable = yes

writeable = yes

guest ok = yes

[tmp]

path = /tmp

the famous error message:

# ./smbpasswd -j default -UAdministrator%passwd
cli_net_auth2: Error NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
cli_nt_setup_creds: auth2 challenge failed
modify_trust_password: unable to setup the PDC credentials to machine w2k. Error was : NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED.
2002/01/21 12:12:59 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change password for domain default.
Unable to join domain default.